The Clowns (ピエロ, piero, from French pierrot) are a group of ghouls with a mysterious goal or purpose. Its members primarily wear clown-themed masks and state their intentions are to "have the last laugh." The CCG had planned a famous investigation on them in the 3rd ward, as mentioned in Hisashi Ogura's New Book of Ghoul Dismantling read by Hideyoshi Nagachika, but their current residing ward is unspecified.
There is no data on their member amount, activity area, nor goals in the CCG database. It is stated that the Clowns do not usually group up, but when they do, they demonstrate exceptional teamwork. Kuramoto Itou notes that they are considered ghouls that ghoul investigators would rather not encounter.
The group is mentioned throughout the series, but revealed at the finale to have been involved in numerous pivotal events.
- Roma Hoito (Gypsy / The Dodgy Mother) † - Founder
- Nico (Big Sister)
- Donato Porpora (Priest / Crown)
- Uta (No Face)
- Kichimura Washuu (Souta / PG / Washuu King)
- Ganbo †
- Vancouver †
- Numerous unnamed members
- Akihiro Kanou † - Souta
The Clown group has had a long history well known in the public as the CCG spent quite some time on their investigation and eradication plan. Kishou Arima, Take Hirako, and Kousuke Houji are some CCG members that were involved in the battle against them.
At an unspecified time before the main story began, the CCG attempted an extermination mission to sweep up the Clowns who were mainly located in the 3rd ward. While the operation failed to wipe out all Clowns, it was a success on most parts; the operation success is said to be a close call even with Arima taking part of it.
Key Events Edit
The group have been involved in numerous key events through the series, either as individuals or working in conjunction with other members.
- Steel Beam Incident - (Souta)
- Kaneki at the Ghoul Restaurant - (Itori)
- Kaneki's capture by Aogiri and torture by Yamori - (Nico)
- Search for Kanou's Lab - (Itori and Nico)
- Auction Mopping-up Operation - (Uta, Roma, and Ganbo)
- Third Cochlea Raid - (Furuta, Uta, and Donato)
- Rushima Landing Operation - (Roma and Shikorae)
- Washuu Clan Ambush Incident - (Furuta, Uta, and Donato)
- Clown Siege - (Furuta, Donato, Uta and Nico)
- Furuta's Integrity Enquiry - (Furuta, Roma, Shikorae)
- Goat Wipeout Operation - (Furuta)
- Defense of Tokyo - (Furuta, Uta, Itori)
- Yamori mentions that the Clowns group was rising in power during his time in Cochlea.
- On the Cochlea ghoul escapee list Kaneki gave Itori, there is a SS-rated Clown. Of the three SS escapees, one is shown to be a brown-haired woman who is Roma when she was younger.
- All major ghoul organizations within the series had at least one Clown either associating with or joining them. Uta, Itori, and Roma were all associated with Anteiku. Nico associated with Aogiri Tree for a time, while Souta was a member of the Gourmet Restaurant in the 7th ward as well as the CCG, V, and the Sunlit Garden. The Clowns were also involved in Ghoul Restaurant's Auction.
- "No point in living if things aren't interesting. The ones who get the last laugh are us, the Clowns."
- "The Clowns are ghouls of surprise. All of us." —Nico 
- "Bearing witness to the moment of their destruction... Wouldn't that be just divine? We'll watch the whole thing from the best seats in the house. Watch as the curtain falls. Was there ever a time in the past when Ghoul-kind was backed so far into a corner? I wonder..." —Itori