| This article does not contain any in-line citations.|
Please help improve this page by adding citations. Once a proper citation has been added to this page, this message will be replaced.
A kakugan (赫眼, red eye) denotes a ghoul's eye where the iris turns red, and the sclera black with red veins across the eye and into the skin around the eye. The ghoul can enter this state by their own will, but this state is also entered when the ghoul becomes excited, gets extremely hungry, or when they use their kagune. A kakugan is an influence of activated Rc cells.
Generally, a ghoul possesses two kakugan and they always activate together. If a subject possesses only one kakugan, they are a one-eyed ghoul. A new type of ghoul/human hybrid called a Quinx possess only one kakugan like a one-eyed ghoul, but their sclera is grey, while in the anime it is black. It is unknown if the kakugan serves any supplemental purpose.
- On numerous occasions, ghouls such as Tatara and Yamori are shown to have red irises and white scleras. They seem to be able to control whether the iris changes alone or the entire sclera blackens.
- Shachi's kakugan wasn't shown in the anime, even if he was using his kagune.
- Uta's kakugan is always depicted with a black sclera, even in color pages.
- Kurona Yasuhisa and Kuki Urie are the only two known one-eyed ghoul and Quinx, respectively, to bear two kakugan instead of one. Later, Hajime Hazuki would also display this trait suggesting that it may be indicative of hybrid ghouls that have developed beyond their previously established limits.
- Oggais are ghouls that can activate one or two kakugan at their own will.