|Japanese Name||田中丸 望元 （たなかまる もうがん）|
|Age||49 (Tokyo Ghoul:re)|
50 (after :re Chapter 59)
56 (after :re Chapter 179)
|Born||May 31, 46 BSBI|
S1 Squad - Leader (Formerly)
|Occupation||Ghoul Investigator (Formerly)|
Monk (after :re Chapter 179)
|Quinque||Higher Mind/Angel Beat (Ukaku, Rate SS)|
|Rank||Special Class (Formerly)|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 118|
|Anime Debut||Episode 14|
|Novel Debut||quest: Chapter 6|
|English VA||Barry Yandell|
He resigned from the CCG after the Dragon War and became a monk.
Mougan is a heavy-built man of middle age, with black hair and eyes. He wears his hair in a pompadour style, and has a neat mustache.
Manga Depiction Edit
Mougan is rather emotional and flamboyant, shedding tears of admiration while watching Arima fight the Owl and shouts during fights. He has a habit of saying "Mmmm boy," which annoys some people around him, however, he appears to be well-liked by those in the 2nd ward for his reliability.
Owl Suppression Operation Edit
Root A (Anime only) Edit
Post-Rose Extermination Edit
Third Cochlea Raid Edit
During the Third Cochlea Raid, he was appointed the leader of Squad 5 to protect the CCG asset, Cochlea. Mougan approached Kiyoko Aura while he was preparing the clash with the group of escapee ghouls. He mocked Ayato Kirishima while engaging him in combat. As Kiyoko quickly overpowered Ayato with her quinque, the two prepared to deal the finishing blow, while Touka Kirishima protected Ayato with the force of her kagune. Mougan told Kiyoko to continue attacking in order to tire the ghoul. Their attacks were repelled by the kagune, as Renji Yomo immediately engaged Mougan in a fight. Using Yomo's moment of distraction to his advantage, Mougan quickly rammed his quinque into the ghoul's stomach and activated Higher Mind's close combat attack, blowing the ghoul away in the process. He was then shocked when Take Hirako suddenly appeared and presented his resignation while preparing to engage Mougan in combat. Just after this, Kaneki arrived, and Mougan watched —flabbergasted— as the ghoul claimed he was the One-Eyed King.
Post-Third Cochlea Raid Edit
A news broadcast stated he and Kiyoko Aura were seriously injured but survived.
Powers and Abilities Edit
A Special Class Investigator, he is a powerful and experienced individual. This was made evident when he defeated the Devil Ape who was self-proclaimed to be stronger than Black Dog.
- Higher Mind: An SS-rated quinque that shoots energy blasts instead of Rc projectiles. It is connected to a briefcase with a wire that provides the energy used in each shot, but there might be another function as he was capable of gravely injuring Devil Ape with a powerful shot even after the wire had been cut. He can use "Compress" for an area-of-effect blast, and "Diffuse" to release the same energy as multiple fang-like projectiles. With Higher Mind, he has been shown to take down multiple ghouls at once with a large beam-like shot. It is considered by Shinji Michibata as one of the few quinques capable of doing serious damage to Noro, whose abnormal regeneration rendered attacks from most quinques ineffective.
Manga Depiction Edit
Anime Depiction Edit
- According to an omake in :re Volume 1, he was raised in a temple.
- In Tokyo Ghoul Trump, he is featured as the "Ten of Diamonds."
- Mougan organized several recreational events including the CCG Dandy Contest and Inter-ward Baseball Classic. He won first place in the CCG Dandy Contest.
- He claims to be extremely sensitive to the supernatural, having seen many ghosts and spirits. As a result of his work as an investigator, he claims to have seen ghoul ghosts as well.
- To Koma: "Go back to your mountain, monkey!"
- To Koma: "There's no way that we homo sapiens can lose to you lowly apes."
- During the Special Class Investigator Meeting: "Mmm boy... if you had called on me, I wouldn't have let Aogiri have their run of the place."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Mougan Tanakamaru's profile in :re Volume 8.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 60
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 118
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 127
- ↑ Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 129
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 132
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Tokyo Ghoul Episode 14
- ↑ Tokyo Ghoul Episode 18
- ↑ Tokyo Ghoul Episode 21
- ↑ Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 66
- ↑ Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 84
- ↑ Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 86
- ↑ Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 99